Saschiz Fortified Church
The Fortified Church of Saschiz is situated in Saschiz village, near Sighisoara fortified town, in Mures County.
The church was built between 1493 and 1496 by the Saxon colonists. The monument is impressive due to its proportions and the way the fortifying elements have been adapted to the shape of a church building.
From the outside, the church appears to be a bulwark with huge arches built over massive buttresses of stone and bricks, characteristic element for the gothic style. The beauty of the architecture combines with the defensive role of the fortified church, behind the arches being built the throwing holes.
Due to the significant distance between the center of the village and the hill on which the other Saxon fortress was built, the fortified Evangelical church became the main refuge for the inhabitants of Saschiz during invading raids.