Medias is one of the seven fortified towns of Transylvania. Today is a medium size town, population about 65,000.
It’s situated in the southern part of Transylvania, on Tarnava Mare River, surrounded by the Transylvanian hills.
Medias developed on the site of an old settlement, traces from the Iron Age, and also from the Roman time being found in the area. The first Saxon colonists probably arrived in 12 century, the place being mentioned in late 13th century. It grew into a pretty large town, due its location, on the main trade route going from Sibiu to Sighisoara, and also the richness of its surroundings. In 15th century the defensive system started to be built, from which parts of the wall and a few towers are still standing. It was here that the Saxon church leaders met in 1545 and decided to convert to the Lutheran faith. In 1919 the National Council of the Germans from Transylvania voted the secession of the Saxon Land from Hungary and the unification with Romania. During the Communism the town was heavily industrialized, the remains of these factories, not longer working, contrasting with the old part, still well preserved and alive.
- the Lutheran fortified church, built in Gothic style, at the end of 15th, beginning of 16th century, on the site of a smaller one. Unlike any other church from the Transylvanian fortified towns, this one has its own defensive system, also surrounding the parish house, the school and the old town hall. Its tower, with an impressive 74m high, also call “the Trumpeters tower” stands above the town, even slightly leaning. The interior of the church is enhanced by well-preserved 15th century frescoes and the 16th to 17th century Turkish rugs. Of great value is the late Gothic triptych, from 1480, illustrating the Passion of Christ. The christening font is the oldest in the whole Romania, dating from 13th century.
- Hermann Oberth memorial museum is yet another interesting site, especially for the ones interested in rocket science. H. Oberth (1894 – 1989) was born in Sibiu, lived in Medias until WWII, work for the Germans and later for the NASA. In 1935 he built and launched the fourth rocket in the world, after Germany, US and the Soviet Union.