Barsana village is situated on Iza valley, in Maramures county.
The church was built in 1720 in a different place and used as a convent church until 1791, when the convent closed down. Later, in 1802, the villagers decided to move the unused church in the middle of their community. The church was built of massive oak beams on a stone block foundation. It has a rectangular plan and a polygonal chancel apse. The tower is not very tall but gives a graceful air to the church. In the west there is a porch on two levels, each with pillars that form round arches. The narthex is very small and has no windows. The nave is much larger with a high vault but is still quite dark. The walls were painted in 1806 by Hodor Toader on pieces of textile material covered with a preparatory layer of lime. The scenes, especially those in the nave and the altar are influenced by baroque and rococo styles.
Especially the quality of the painting made that the church is part of the UNESCO World Heritage list.