An easy – moderate, fully guided tour, available from early May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 8 days of driving and exploring the historic region of Transylvania, situated in center Romania.
Walk in Apuseni, Calimani, Piatra Craiului and Bucegi mountain areas, on marked trails, with easy and medium slopes, between 2 and 4 hours/day, ascending up to 600m.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, Curtea de Arges, Cozia Monastery, all 7 Transylvanian fortified towns (Sibiu, Sebes, Cluj-Napoca, Bistrita, Medias, Sighisoara and Brasov), Alba Iulia citadel, Targu Mures, 3 of Transylvanian fortified churches (Biertan, Viscri and Prejmer), Bran Castle and Peles Castle.
Customizable features: starting / ending place, according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of walking days, length of the walks, accommodation level, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for asightseeing tour, including the Revolution Square, with the Royal Palace and the Romanian Athenaeum, the History Museum, the Parliament Palace, built during Ceausescu regime, the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon and the University square. Continue with a walk in the old part of the city, ending the tour with a welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- 270 km drive to Sibiu, stopping on the way in Curtea de Arges to visit the early 16th century Arges Monastery, the burial place of the Romanian royal family.
- Drive further on Arges river valley, to Arefu village.
- Climb about 1500 steps to Poienari Fortress, built in 14th century and enlarged later, in 15th century, by Vlad the Impaler. Transfer to Sibiu. Check in.
- Sibiu walking tour, including the 14th – 17th century old fortifications, the Large Square and the Small Square, the Liars Bridge and the Council Tower, the early 18th century Catholic church, the 13th – early 16th century Lutheran Church, the Staircase Passage and the History Museum, hosted by the 15th century old Town Hall.
- Accommodation in Sibiu, at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor***.
- Drive to Sebes, stop for a walk in the center and continue to Alba Iulia. Visit the early 18th century Vauban style citadel, the largest of its kind in this part of Europe. Drive to Aiud, stop to visit the 13th -16th century fortress and further, to Turda.
- Visit Turda Salt Mine operating from Roman to recent times, now opened as a museum.
- Walk about 2 hours through Turda Gorges.
- Transfer to Cluj-Napoca.
- Accommodation in Cluj-Napoca, at Hotel Agape**** or similar.
- Cluj-Napoca walking tour, including the remaining fortifications, Matei Corvin’s house and St. Michael’s Cathedral.
- Drive to Bistrita, the most northern fortified town of Transylvania. Walk in the old center.
- Drive to the bottom of Calimani Mountains. Walk between 2 and 4 hours, according to time on our disposal and weather. Transfer to Targu Mures.
- Accommodation in Targu Mures, at Hotel Concordia****.
- Visit the Cultural Palace and the 15th century fortress. Drive to Medias, stop for a walking tour of the old part, including St. Margaret Church. Continue to Biertan, to visit the early 16th century fortified church, the most important church for the native Germans, being the seat of the Lutheran Bishop for the entire Transylvania for almost 300 years.
- Walk 2 to 3 hours towards Malancrav village. Visit the 14th century fortified church. Transfer to Sighisoara.
- Accommodation in Sighisoara, at Hotel Casa Wagner*** or similar.
- Walking tour of Sighisoara citadel, including the 14th – 16th century fortifications, the History Museum, hosted by the Clock Tower, Vlad Dracu’s house, the place where Vlad the Impaler was born, in 1431, the central square, the wooden covered staircase and the 14th century Lutheran Church on the Hill.
- Drive to Viscri. Visit the 13th century fortified church and go further, to Zarnesti.
- Walk 3 to 4 hours in Piatra Craiului Massif, according to time and weather.
- Accommodation in Bran resort, at Casa Cavalerului**** or similar
- Visit the 13th century Bran Castle, also known as Dracula castle. Drive to Brasov. Walking tour of the old part of the city, including the remaining walls and towers, the central square with the 15th century council house, now hosting the history museum and the late 14th century Black Church, the largest gothic church in this part of Europe. Drive towards Sinaia.
- Walk 2 – 3 hours or more, if time allowed, in Bucegi Massif.
- Farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului Restaurant.
- Accommodation in Sinaia, at Hotel Anda**** or similar
- Visit Peles Castle, built by King Carol I, between 1875 and 1914, consider to be one of the nicest castles of Europe.
- Drive to Bucharest airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport by a fully insured vehicle, with climate control, during the tour
- 7 nights accommodation
- 7 continental breakfasts and 2 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- other meals unless mentioned
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees