An easy – moderate, fully guided tour, available from mid May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Sunday, with 6 days of walking in 2 historic regions (Maramures and Bukovina) of northern Romania.
Walk in Gutai, Lapus, Rodna, Calimani, Rarau and Obcinile Bucovinei mountain areas, on marked trails, between 2 and 4 hours/day, ascending up to 700m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 1750m, in Calimani mountains.
Visit Bucharest city, the old wooden churches of Maramures (Surdesti, Budesti, Barsana, Poienile Izei and Ieud), the unique Sapanta Merry Cemetery, the old painted churches of Bukovina (Moldovita, Sucevita and Voronet), UNESCO sites.
Customizable features: starting / ending place, according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of walking days, length of the walks, accommodation level, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for asightseeing tour, including the Revolution Square, with the Royal Palace and the Romanian Athenaeum, the History Museum, the Parliament Palace, built during Ceausescu regime, the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon and the University square. Continue with a walk in the old part of the city, ending the tour with a welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Drive back to the airport for your evening flight to Baia Mare or take the night train, first class sleeping car, reaching Baia Mare next morning.
- Accommodation in Baia Mare, at Hotel Carpati*** or similar.
- Drive from Baia Mare to Surdesti. Visit the mid early 18th century Surdesti wooden church, UNESCO world heritage site. Continue up to Gutai Pass (987m).
- Walk from Gutai Pass to Breb village, passing the Rooster’s Crest volcanic rock formation, the most impressive wall of Gutai Mountains.
- Drive to Budesti, stop to visit the mid 17th century wooden church and continue towards Ocna Sugatag, ending the ride in Sighetu Marmatiei.
- Accommodation in Sighetu Marmatiei, at Hotel Marmatia***.
- Walk 3-4 about 100m up, 500m down.
- Visit the ex Communist Prison, now a Memorial Museum and Elie Wiesel memorial house. Drive to Barsana, stop for its new wooden monastery and go further, to Poienile Izei. Visit the old wooden church, UNESCO site.
- Walk to Botiza village and continue, going over a 600m high ridge, to Ieud village
- Visit the old wooden church of Ieud, also a UNESCO site. Drive to Borsa resort
- Accommodation in Borsa, at Hotel Cerbul***.
- Walk 3-4 hours, about 400m up, 400m down.
- Walk from Borsa resrt (850m) to Cascada Cailor – Horses Waterfall (1300m) and back or go further up, to the end of the local ski slope (1600m) and descend to Prislop Pass (1416m).
- Drive to Vatra Dornei resort, following the beautiful Bistrita river valley.
- Accommodation in Vatra Dornei, at Pensiunea Poiana Izvoarelor or similar.
- Drive to Gura Haitii, at the bottom of Calimani Mountains.
- Walk from the village 1060m up to the 12 Apostles volcanic formation(1760m), an interesting geological protected area, descending on another trail, to Neagra Sarului village(1000m). Optional resting day at the pension.
- Drive to the Campulung Moldovenesc in the afternoon. End the day with an autentic folcloric show over the traditional dinner.
- Accommodation in Campulung Moldovenesc, at Hotel Eden***, or similar, for two nights.
- Walk 3 to 4 hours, about 700m up, 650m down.
- Walk in Rarau Massif, from Campulung (650m) or Poiana Sihastriei (950m) up to Rarau Summit (1651m), following one of the marked trails, according to conditions. Descend by car.
- Visit the Wooden Art Museum and a private collection of wooden spoons. End the day with an authentic folkloric show, over a traditional dinner.
- Walk 2-3 hours, 700m up, 150m down or 3-4 hours, about 1000m up, 150m down.
- Drive to Voronet village, visit the late 15th century Voronet Monastery, UNESCO site. Transfer to Moldovita village, visit an interesting painted eggs museum and stop in Vatra Moldovitei to visit the early 16th century Moldovita Monastery.
- Walk in Obcinile Bucovinei Mountains, from V. Moldovitei (650m) towards Ciumarna Pass (1109m), with the option of ending in Ciumarna village (850m)
- Drive to the late 16th century Sucevita Monastery, UNESCO site. Stop to visit it. Return to Campulung Moldovenesc, take a shower and enjoy a farewell dinner.
- According to the flight schedule, take the night train to Bucharest, first class sleeping car, or spent another night in Campulung Moldovenesc and take a morning train, from Suceava
- Walk 2-3 hours, 300m up, 200m down or 4-5 hours, about 550m up, 100m down.
- Reach Bucharest in the morning or noon, transfer to the airport for your returning flight or spent another night in Bucharest.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- the domestic flight tickets, from Bucharest to Baia Mare in the day of arrival(or train ticket, sleeping car) and the train ticket from Suceava to Bucharest in the day of departure
- transport with a climate control, fully insured vehicle
- luggage transfers while walking
- 7 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels
- 7 continental breakfasts, 5 picnic lunches, 3 rich dinners
- a folkloric show with music and dances from Bucovina area
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees