A fully guided tour, available from early May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 8 days of driving and exploring the historic region of Transylvania, situated in center Romania.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, Curtea de Arges, Cozia Monastery, all 7 Transylvanian fortified towns (Sibiu, Sebes, Cluj-Napoca, Bistrita, Medias, Sighisoara and Brasov), Alba Iulia citadel, Targu Mures, 3 of Transylvanian fortified churches (Biertan, Viscri and Prejmer), Bran Castle and Peles Castle.
Customizable features: starting / ending place – according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, accommodation level, meals included, cultural highlights. Upon request you can spend 1-2 hours/day cycling, running, swimming or intending any other psychical activity, according to the facilities of the current location. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for checking in.
- Evening sightseeing tour of the Romanian capital including a stroll in the oldest part of the city.
- Welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- Visit to the Palace of the Parliament, also known as the “House of the People”, built during Ceausescu regime and considered to be the second largest building in the world, after the Pentagon.
- 270 km drive to Sibiu, stopping on the way in Curtea de Arges to visit the early 16th century Arges Monastery, the burial place of the Romanian royal family and later, on Olt river valley, to visit the late 14th century Cozia Monastery.
- Accommodation in Sibiu, at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor***
- Sibiu walking tour, including the 14th – 17th century old fortifications, the Large Square and the Small Square, the Liars Bridge and the Council Tower, the early 18th century Catholic church, the 13th – early 16th century Lutheran Church, the Staircase Passage and the History Museum, hosted by the 15th century old Town Hall. Time on your disposal or you have the option of visiting Brukental Art Museum.
- Leave towards Cluj-Napoca, stopping in Sebes for a short tour of the old central area and in Alba Iulia for a walking tour of the early 18th century Vauban style citadel, the largest of its kind in south – eastern Europe.
- Accommodation in Cluj-Napoca, at Hotel Agape**** or similar.
- Cluj-Napoca walking tour, including the remaining fortifications, the central square, the 14th century Catholic Cathedral, the 14th century Matei Corvin House and the Museum’s Square, ending with an optional visit to the History Museum. Drive to Bistrita, stop for a short walking tour of the oldest part of the town and continue towards Reghin, ending in Targu Mures.
- Accommodation in Targu Mures, at Hotel Concordia****.
- Targu Mures walking tour, including the 15th century fortress and the early 20 century Palace of Culture. Leave towards Sighisoara, stopping in Medias for a stroll in the old center and later in Biertan, to visit the early 16th century fortified church, the most important church for the native Germans, being the seat of the Lutheran Bishop for the entire Transylvania for almost 300 years.
- Accommodation in Sighisoara, at Hotel Casa Wagner*** or similar.
- Walking tour of Sighisoara citadel, including the 14th – 16th century fortifications, the History Museum, hosted by the Clock Tower, Vlad Dracu’s house, the place where Vlad the Impaler was born, in 1431, the central square, the wooden covered staircase and the 14th century Lutheran Church on the Hill. Leave towards Brasov stopping in Viscri to visit the 12 century fortified Church and later in Harman or Prejmer to visit one their 15th century fortified churches.
- Accommodation in Brasov, at Pension Casa Brasoveana****.
- Brasov sightseeing tour, including the 14th – 17th century old fortifications, the central square with the early 15th century town hall, now hosting the History Museum, the pedestrian shopping area and the 14th – 15th century Black Church, the largest Gothic church from this part of Europe. Drive to Bran, visit the 13th century castle, enlarged and modified during the centuries that followed, also known as Dracula’s Castle and continue towards Sinaia.
- According to your flight schedule, visit Peles Castle, built by King Carol I, between 1875 and 1914, during this afternoon or leave it for the next morning.
- Enjoy a farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului Restaurant.
- Accommodation in Sinaia, at Hotel Anda**** or similar
- Leave to Bucharest airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport by a fully insured vehicle, with climate control, during the tour
- 7 nights accommodation
- 7 continental breakfasts and 2 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- other meals unless mentioned
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees