A moderate – tough, fully guided tour, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Sunday, with 6 days of mountain biking in Gutai, Maramures, Suhard, Rarau and Obcinile Bucovinei mountain areas, situated in 2 historic regions (Maramures and Bukovina) of northern Romania.
Ride on single tracks, gravel and tarmac roads, with medium and steep slopes, between 40 and 100 km/day, ascending up to 1500m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 1900m, with vehicle support when possible.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, the old wooden churches of Maramures (Budesti, Barsana, Poienile Izei and Ieud), Sapanta Merry Cemetery, Bukovina’s painted monasteries (Moldovita, Sucevita and Voronet)
Customizable features: starting / ending place, according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of mountain biking days, length of the rides wherever possible, accommodation, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for a sightseeing tour, ending with a walk in the old part of the city.
- Welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Drive back to the airport for your evening flight to Baia Mare or to the train station, to take the night train, first class sleeping car to Baia Mare.
- Accommodation in Baia Mare, at Hotel Carpati*** or similar.
- Cycle in Gutai Mountains, from Baia Mare (200m) to Firiza reservoir and further to Izvoarele resort, up to an altitude of about 1200 m. Descend to Sapanta village (500m).
- Visit the unique Sapanta Merry Cemetery.
- Continue another 15 km towards Sighetu Marmatiei.
- Accommodation in Sighet, at Hotel Marmatia***.
- Cycle up to 75 km, 1000 m up, 900 m down, mostly on gravel roads.
- Cycle from Sighet into the historic Maramures land, passing through Budesti, Calinesti, Barsana, Poienile Izei, Botiza and Bogdan Voda villages, visiting some of the old wooden churches; continue all the way to Viseu.
- Cycle from Sighet up to Neteda Pass (1057m), descend to Cavnic, continue to Lapus, ascend to Botiza Pass (980m), down to Rozavlea village, on Iza Valley, ending the day in Viseu.
- Accommodation in Viseul de Sus town, at Hotel Gabriela*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 100 km, 900 m up, 600 m down, mostly on tarmac roads.
- 20 km drive to Borsa.
- Cycle in Maramures Mountains, from Borsa (700m) up to Prislop Pass (1416m) and descend on Bistrita valley, in Carlibaba village (900m).
- Accommodation in Carlibaba, at Cabana Zada*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 60 km, 800 m up, 600 m down, mostly on gravel roads.
- Cycle in Suhard Mountains, from Carlibaba (900m) up to Rotunda Pass (1270m) and continue on the main ridge, passing Omu summit (1932m). Descend to Cosna village or in Vatra Dornei resort (800m), according to time and weather.
- Accommodation in Vatra Dornei resort, at Hotel Bradul*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 60 km, 1000 m up, 1000 m down, mostly on single tracks and gravel roads.
- Cycle on Bistrita valley for another 25 km, down to Chiril village (650m). Go up on Rarau Massif, reach RarauSummit (1650m), continue towards Slatioara virgin forest and village, up again over Prihodiste Pass (950m), ending the day in Campulung Moldovenesc (650m).
- Accommodation in Campulung Moldovenesc, at Hotel Eden***.
- Cycle up to 75 km, 1000 m up, 1150 m down, mostly on gravel roads.
- Drive to Mestecanis Pass (1100m).
- Cycle towards Giumalau Summit (1857m), continue on its northern ridge, descending to Valea Putnei village (800m).
- Cycle up to 50 km, 900m up, 1200m down, mostly on single tracks and gravel roads.
- Cycle in Obcinile Bucovinei Mountains, from Campulung Moldovenesc (650m) over Trei Movile Pass (1040m), descend to Moldovita Monastery, visit, over Ciumarna Pass (1100m), descend to Sucevita Monastery, visit, and continue towards Voronet Monastery (550m), visit.
- 35 km drive back to Campulung Moldovenesc. Take a shower and enjoy a farewell dinner.
- Take the night train, first class sleeping car to Bucharest.
- Cycle up to 100 km, 1200 m up, 1300 m down, mostly on tarmac roads.
- Transfer to Henri Coanda airport to fly back home or stay in Bucharest for another day.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- the domestic flight ticket or the train ticket, from Bucharest to Baia Mare in the day of arrival and the train ticket from Campulung Moldovenesc to Bucharest in the day of departure
- transport with a climate control, fully insured vehicle
- luggage transfers while cycling
- 7 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels
- 13 meals: 7 continental breakfasts, 4 picnic lunches, 2 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent from Bucharest for about 10 euros / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees