A moderate – tough, fully guided tour, available from mid May to mid November, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 6 days of hiking in 6 different mountain areas (Obcinile Bucovinei, Rarau, Calimani, Ceahlau, Hasmas and Ciomatu Mare), situated in 3 historic regions (Transylvania, Moldavia and Bukovina) of center, eastern and northern Romania.
Walk on marked trails, with medium and steep slopes, between 2 and 8 hours/day, ascending / descending up to 1100m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 2100m, on Pietrosu Summit, in
We’ll visit Bucharest city, Brasov, one of the 7 fortified towns of Transylvania, 3 of the painted monasteries of Bukovina (Moldovita, Sucevita and Voronet) and Peles castle.
Customizable features: starting / ending place – according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of hiking days, length of the hikes – wherever possible, accommodation level, meals included and the cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For more details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda airport. Meet your English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for a sightseeing tour. Continue with a stroll in the old part of the city, ending with a welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant, opened in 1879.
- Drive to the train station for your night train, first class sleeping car, to Campulung Moldovenesc.
- Accommodation in Suceava, at Hotel Continental*** or similar.
- Transfer to your hotel, take a shower, have breakfast.
- Drive to Voronet Village, visit the late 15th century Voronet Monastery, UNESCO site.
- Transfer to Moldovita village, visit an interesting painted eggs museum and stop in Vatra Moldovitei, to visit the early 16th century Moldovita Monastery.
- Walk in Obcinile Bucovinei mountains, from Vatra Moldovitei(650m) towards Ciumarna Pass(1109m), with the option of ending in Ciumarna village()850m
- Drive to the late 16th century Sucevita Monastery, UNESCO site, stop to visit it. Return to Campulung Moldovenesc in the evening.
- Accomodation in Campulung Moldovenesc at hotel Eden***.
- Walk 2-3 hours, 300m up, 200m down or 4-5 hours, about 550m up, 100m down.
- Hike in Rarau Massif, from Campulung (700m), through the Devil’s Mill gorges, up to the Lady’s Stones formation and the 1650 m high Rarau summit. According to weather, descend to Campulung or to Chiril village (700m) in the afternoon. Transfer to Vatra Dornei resort.
- Accommodation in Vatra Dornei, at Hotel Bradul*** or similar.
- Walk 6 – 7 hours, approx. 950m up, 950m down.
- 50 km drive to the upper part of Calimani volcanic mountains.
- Hike in Calimani, from Negoiu saddle (1900m) to Pietrosu Summit (2100m) and back, returning on a different trail.
- Drive another 100 km, following the beautiful Bistrita river valley, to Durau.
- Accommodation in Durau resort, at Hotel Bistrita**** or similar.
- Walk 4 – 5 hours, approx. 500m up, 500m down.
- Hike in Ceahlau Massif, from Durau (800m) up to Toaca Peak (1900m) and Dochia Hut (1750m). Descend at Izvoru Muntelui Hut in the afternoon. Transfer to Lacu Rosu, driving through Bicaz Gorges, a natural protected area, with huge limestone walls, a rock climber’s paradise.
- Accommodation in Lacu Rosu resort, at Hotel Lacu Rosu***.
- Walk 7 – 8 hours, approx. 1100m up, 1100m down.
- Hike in Hasmas Massif, from Lacu Rosu (900m) to Hasmasu Mare Peak (1793m). Continue on the high plateau, towards the Lonely Stone limestone formation and descend to Balan town (800m). Short transfer to Miercurea Ciuc.
- Accommodation in Miercurea Ciuc, at Hotel Fenyo***.
- Walk 5 – 6 hours, approx. 1000m up, 1100m down.
- 30 km transfer to Baile Tusnad.
- Hike in Ciomatu Mare Massif, from Baile Tusnad (650m) up to Ciomatu Saddle (1200m), descend to St. Ana Lake (950m), formed in the crater of a dead volcano, ending the walk at St. Ana Hut (1060m).
- 130 km transfer to Brasov, stop for a walking tour, including the central square with the old town hall, the Black church and the old fortifications. Continue to Sinaia, check in and later enjoy a farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului restaurant.
- Accommodation in Sinaia resort, at Hotel Anda**** or similar.
- Walk 3 – 4 hours, approx. 650m up, 250m down.
- Visit the unique Peles Castle, former royal summer residence, built by king Carol I, between 1875 and 1914, one of the most beautiful castles in Europe.
- 100 km drive to Henri Coanda Airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- the train ticket from Bucharest to Campulung Moldovenesc, in the first day
- transport and luggage transfers while hiking
- 7 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels
- 14 meals: 7 continental breakfasts, 5 picnic lunches, 2 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees