A moderate – tough, fully guided tour, available from mid May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Sunday, with 6 days of hiking and mountain biking / cycling in 6 different mountain areas situated in 2 historic regions (Maramures and Bukovina) of northern Romania.
Hike on the marked trails of Gutai, Rodna and Giumalau – Rarau mountains, between 3 and 8 hours / day, ascending / descending up to 1650m / day and ride on the tarmac and dirt roads of Tibles, Suhard and Obcinile Bucovinei mountain areas, between 80 and 100km / day, ascending up to 1600m / day, with vehicle support when possible.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, the old wooden churches of Maramures (Surdesti, Desesti, Budesti and Ieud), the unique Sapanta Merry Cemeteryand the old painted monasteries of Bukovina (Moldovita, Sucevita and Voronet).
Customizable features: starting / ending place, according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of hiking and cycling days, length of the hikes or rides, wherever possible, accommodation level, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for a sightseeing tour, including the Revolution Square, with the Royal Palace and the Romanian Athenaeum, the History Museum, the Parliament Palace, built during Ceausescu regime, the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon and the University square. Continue with a walk in the old part of the city, ending the tour with a welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Drive back to the airport for your evening flight to Baia Mare or drive to the train station for the night train, first class sleeping car to Baia Mare.
- Accommodation in Baia Mare, at Hotel Carpati*** or similar.
- Short walk in the old center. Drive to Surdesti. Visit the old wooden church and continue up to Neteda Pass (1040m). Hike in Gutai Volcanic Mountains, up to Gutai Peak (1445m), passing the Rooster’s Crest formation, towards Gutai Pass (987m). Transfer to Desesti, stop to visit the old wooden church and go further, to Sapanta. Visit the unique cemetery and drive back to Sighet for checking in.
- Accommodation in Sighetu Marmatiei, at Hotel Marmatia***
- Walk about 4 hours, 450m up, 500m down.
- Cycle from Sighetu Marmatiei (275m) to Borsa Resort (850m), following Iza river and Viseu river valleys, stopping on the way to visit Barsana and Ieud old wooden churches.
- Cycle up to 100 km, 700m up, 125m down, on tarmac
- Cycle from Sighetu Marmatiei (275m) to Budesti, visit the old wooden church and go on, towards Neteda Pass (1040m). Descend to Cavnic and continue, over Cavnic Pass (1080m) to Lapus and further, over another pass (980m), to Botiza (500m). Drive to Borsa Resort.
- Cycle up to 100km, 1600m up, 1375m down, on tarmac and gravel roads
- Accommodation in Borsa resort, at Hotel Cerbul**, for two nights
- Short transfer to Moisei village. Hike in Rodna Mountains, from Moisei (650m) up to Pietrosu Summit (2303m) and descend to Borsa (675m) in the afternoon.
- Walk about 8 – 9 hours, 1650m up, 1625m down
- Cycle from Borsa (850m) up to Prislop Pass (1416m), descend on Bistrita river valley and ride to Vatra Dornei (800m).
- Cycle up to 80 km, 600m up, 650m down, on tarmac
- Drive to Rotunda (1000m). Cycle to Rotunda Pass (1271m) and further, on the main ridge of Suhard Mountains, passing near La Om Summit (1932m), to Vatra Dornei (800m).
- Cycle up to 60 km, 1000m up, 1200m down, on gravel roads and single tracks
- Accomodation in Vatra Dornei Resort, at Hotel Bradul***
- Hike in Giumalau and Rarau mountains, from Vatra Dornei (800m) up to Giumalau Summit (1854m) and down to Colbului Saddle (1285m). Short drive to Rarau Mountain Hut (1425m) and continue on foot towards Rarau Summit (1651m) and further to Campulung Moldovenesc (650m).
- Accommodation in Campulung Moldovenesc, at Hotel Eden*** or similar.
- Walk 7 – 8 hours, about 1300m up, 1650m down.
- Drive to Voronet, visit Voronet Monastery.
- Cycle to Vatra Moldovitei. Visit the early 16th century Moldovita Monastery. Ride over Ciumirna Pass (1109m), to Sucevita village. Visit the late 16th century Sucevita Monastery. Drive back to Campulung Moldovenesc. Take a shower and enjoy a farewell dinner
- Cycle up to 70 km, 600m up, 400m down, on tarmac.
- Drive to Voronet, visit Voronet Monastery and further to Vatra Moldovitei, visit Moldovita Monastery.
- Cycle from Vatra M. (650m), over Obcina Mare (1100m), to Putna (560m). Visit Putna Monastery and cycle to Sucevita (550m) crossing another ridge (1150m). Visit Sucevita Monastery. Drive to Campulung Moldovenesc.
- Cycle up to 70km, 1000m up, 1000m down, on dirt roads, single tracks and tarmac.
- Take the night train, first class sleeping car to Bucharest
Transfer to the airport to fly back home or spend more time in the Romanian capital.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- the domestic flight ticket or the train ticket from Bucharest to Baia Mare in the day of arrival and the train ticket from Campulung Moldovenesc to Bucharest in the day of departure
- transport by a fully insured vehicle, with climate control
- luggage transfers while cycling or hiking
- 6 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels
- 7 continental breakfasts, 5 picnic lunches, 2 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent from Bucharest for about 10 euro / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees