A moderate, fully guided tour, available from mid May to late October, starting/ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 6 days of cycling in Transylvania, region of center Romania.
Ride on tarmac and gravel roads, over the Transilvanian hills, between 25 and 100 km/day, ascending up to 900 m / day, reaching a maximum altitude of 1050m, at Paraul Rece resort.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, Alba Iulia citadel, Transylvania’s fortified towns (Sibiu, Medias, Sighisoara, Brasov) and fortified churches (Cisnadioara, Cristian, Biertan, Bradeni, Saschiz, Viscri), Calnic and Rasnov fortresses, Bran Castle and Peles Castle.
Customizable features: starting / ending place – according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of cycling days, length of the rides, accommodation level, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center, for checking in.
- Bucharest sight seeing tour, including the Revolution Square, the Royal Palace, the Romanian Athenaeum, the History Museum and the Parliament Palace, built during Ceausescu regime, considered to be the second largest building in the world. Continue with a walk in the old part of the city.
- Welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- 270 km drive to Sibiu, ex European Capital of Culture, in 2007. Check in.
- Sibiu walking tour, including the defensive walls and the guilds towers, the Large Square, the Catholic Church, the Council Tower, the Small Square, the Liars Bridge, the staircase passage, the 14th – 16th century Lutheran Church, a landmark of the city, the old town hall and the exquisite Bruckenthal Palace, opened as an art museum in 1817.
- Cycle from Sibiu to Cisnadioara and Cisnadie villages, stopping to visit at least one of their fortified churches. Return to Sibiu in the evening.
- Accommodation at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor***.
- Cycle up to 25 km, 200 m up, 200 m down
- Short drive to Cristian village. Visit the 15th century fortified church
- Cycle to Sibiel village. Stop to visit the glass icons museum. Climb to Poiana Sibiului, continue to Calnic. Stop to visit the 13th century fortress, UNESCO site. End the ride in Sebes.
- Short drive to Alba Iulia, check in. Evening walk in through the early 18th century Vauban style citadel, one of the best preserved in the country.
- Accommodation in Alba Iulia, at Hotel Transilvania***.
- Cycle up to 75 km, 700m up, 850m down
- Transfer to Medias. Stop to visit the old center and the 15th century Lutheran Church.
- Short drive to Saros pe Tarnave village.
- Cycle to Biertan. Visit the 16th century fortified church that served, for 300 years, as the seat of the Lutheran Bishop of Transylvania. Continue further to Agnita and Bradeni, stopping to visit their fortified churches. End the ride in Sighisoara.
- Accommodation in Sighisoara, at Hotel Casa Wagner*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 90 km, 400 m up, 400 m down
- Sighisoara walking tour of the citadel, including the fortifications with the guilds towers, the Clock Tower, hosting the local history museum, Vlad Dracula’s House and the Lutheran Church on the Hill.
- 30 km drive to Bunesti, stopping in Saschiz to visit the 15th century church.
- Cycle to Viscri. Stop to visit the 12 century fortified church and continue towards Carta. Stop to see the remains of the 12 century Cistercian Monastery. End the day at Albota Touristic Complex.
- Accommodation at Albota Hotel***.
- Cycle up to 80 km, 400 m up, 350 m down
- Cycle to Sambata de Sus, up to Poiana Marului Pass and descend to Bran. Check in
- Visit the famous 13th century Bran Castle, built by the Teutonic knights, enlarged and modified during the next centuries, by the inhabitants of Brasov, later donated to Queen Maria.
- Accommodation in Bran area, at Cheile Gradistei Touristic Complex*** or similar
- Cycle up to 100 km, 600m up, 550m down
- 35 km drive to Brasov for a walking tour of the old town, including the central square with its early 15th century town hall, the Black Church, consider to be the largest Gothic church in this part of Europe, the old defensive walls, towers and bastions
- Cycle up to Poiana Brasov, descend to Rasnov, optional stop to visit the 13th century Rasnov Fortress, further up to Paraul Rece, ending the ride in Predeal. Short transfer to Sinaia resort.
- Accommodation in Sinaia, at Hotel Anda****.
- According to your returning flight schedule, visit Peles Castle, built between 1875 and 1914, former summer residence of the Romanian royal family, or leave it for the next morning.
- Farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului restaurant.
- Cycle up to 45 km, 900m up, 600m down
- 100 km drive to Henri Coanda Airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport with a climate control, fully insured vehicle
- luggage transfers while cycling
- 7 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels
- 7 continental breakfasts, 4 picnic lunches, 3 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent from Bucharest for about 10 euros / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees