A moderate, fully guided tour, available from mid May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Sunday, with 6 days of cycling in 2 historic regions (Maramures and Bukovina) of northern Romania.
Ride through Gutai, Rodna, Maramures and Obcinile Bucovinei mountain areas, on tarmac and gravel roads, between 50 and 80 km/day, ascending up to 800m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 1460m, on Prislop Pass.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, the old wooden churches of Maramures (Surdesti, Budesti, Barsana, Poienile Izei and Ieud), the unique Sapanta Merry Cemetery, the old painted churches of Bukovina (Moldovita, Sucevita, Voronet and Arbore) and Suceava Fortress.
Customizable features: starting / ending place, according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of cycling days, length of the rides, accommodation level, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for asightseeing tour, including the Revolution Square, with the Royal Palace and the Romanian Athenaeum, the History Museum, the Parliament Palace, built during Ceausescu regime, the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon and the University square. Continue with a walk in the old part of the city, ending the tour with a welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Drive back to the airport for your evening flight to Baia Mare or to the train station, to take the night train, first class sleeping car to Baia Mare.
- Accommodation in Baia Mare, at Hotel Carpati*** or similar.
- Cycle from Baia Mare to Surdesti. Visit the mid 18th century Surdesti wooden church, UNESCO world heritage site. Continue with a climb, up to Neteda Pass (1040m), descend to Budesti, stop to visit the mid 17th century wooden church and continue towards Ocna Sugatag, ending the ride in Sighetu Marmatiei.
- Short evening drive to Sapanta to visit the unique Sapanta Merry Cemetery.
- Accommodation in Sighetu Marmatiei, at Hotel Marmatia***.
- Cycle up to 80 km, 900m up, 825m down.
- Cycle on Iza valley, stopping in Barsana, Ieud and Bogdan Voda villages, to visit their old wooden churches. End the ride in Viseu de Sus.
- Accommodation in Viseu de Sus, at Hotel Gabriela*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 70 km, 675m up, 350m down.
- Cycle to Borsa and further up to Prislop Pass (1416m), the natural border between Maramures and Bukovina. We’ll be rewarded with a great view upon Rodna and Maramures mountains. Descend to Bistrita river valley and ride all the way to Carlibaba village.
- Accommodation in Carlibaba, at Cabana Zada*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 75 km, 800m up, 500m down.
- Continue on Bistrita valley, to Iacobeni. Ride over Mestecanis Pass (1096m), descend to Putna valley and finish the day in Campulung Moldovenesc. Check in followed by an afternoon visit to the local Wooden Art Museum. Later enjoy a traditional dinner and a folkloric show.
- Accommodation in Campulung Moldovenesc, at Hotel Eden***.
- Cycle up to 50 km, 300m up, 700m down.
- Longer and more demanding ride available (up to 90km, 800m up, 1000m down), climbing Rarau Massif.
- Drive to Voronet village, visit the 15th century Voronet Monastery.
- Cycle to Vatra Moldovitei. Visit the 16th century Moldovita Monastery. Continue, riding over Ciumarna Pass (1109m), down to Sucevita. Visit the 16th century Sucevita Monastery.
- Accommodation in Sucevita, at Hotel Popas Bucovina*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 60 km, 600m up, 400m down.
- Cycle to Marginea. Stop to visit the local black pottery workshop. Continue to Arbore village. Stop to visit the 16th century Arbore Church. Ride to Suceava, check in. Short drive to Suceava Fortress, visit. Farewell dinner at Latino restaurant.
- Acording to your flight schedule, take the night train to Bucharest, first class sleeping car, or spend the last night in Suceava and take a morning train to Bucharest.
- Accommodation in Suceava, at Hotel Continental*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 60 km, 200m up, 400m down.
- Reach Bucharest in the morning or noon, transfer to the airport for your returning flight or spent another night in Bucharest.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- the domestic flight ticket, from Bucharest to Baia Mare in the day of arrival(or train ticket, sleeping car) and the trai ticket from Suceava to Bucharest in the day of departure
- transport with a climate control, fully insured vehicle
- luggage transfers while cycling
- 7 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels
- 7 continental breakfasts, 4 picnic lunches, 3 rich dinners
- a folkloric show with music and dances from Bucovina area
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent from Bucharest for about 10 euros / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees