A comprehensive, fully guided tour, available from early May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 15 days of exploring the historic regions of Dobrogea, Moldavia, Bukovina, Maramures and Transylvania, situated in south – eastern, eastern, northern and center Romania.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, the ancient Greek settlements from the Dobrogea (Tomis, nowadays Constanta, Histria and Heracleea), the Danube Delta, Iasi, Suceava, 3 of Bukovina’s painted monasteries, (Moldovita, Sucevita and Voronet), 4 of the old wooden churches of Maramures (Ieud, Barsana, Budesti and Surdesti), Sapanta Marry Cemetery, Baia Mare, the Transylvanian fortified towns (Cluj-Napoca, Sebes, Sibiu, Medias, Sighisoara and Brasov), Alba Iulia citadel, 4 of Transylvanian fortified churches (Mosna, Biertan, Viscri and Prejmer), Bran Castle and Peles Castle.
Customizable features: starting / ending place – according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, accommodation level, meals included, cultural highlights. Upon request you can spend 1-2 hours/day cycling, running, swimming or intending any other psychical activity, according to the facilities of the current location. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for checking in.
- If time allowed we’ll visit the Palace of the Parliament, also known as the “House of the People”, built during Ceausescu regime and considered to be the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon. Continue with a sightseeing tour of the Romanian capital, including a stroll in the old part of the city.
- Welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- Drive east, to Constanta, Romanian largest port at the Black Sea coast.
- Walk through the old part of the city, an open air museum, displaying the remains of the Roman defensive walls, built on top of the 5th century B.C. old Greek fortified town and port.
- Visit the History Museum and the Roman Mosaic.
- Leave towards Histria, the oldest fortified settlement of the area, built by the first Greek sailors and traders, in the 7th century B.C.
- Continue to Enisala village. Visit the 4th century B.C. Heracleea Fortress.
- Accommodation in Enisala, at B&B Pensiunea Enisala Safari Village****
- Short drive to Tulcea, the main gate to the Danube Delta.
- Take a boat to Sulina, following the main branch of the Danube.
- Accommodation in Sulina, at B&B Pensiunea Marina****, for two nights
- Danube Delta boat trip.
- Take the morning boat back Tulcea. Continue with a 5 hours drive to Iasi.
- Accommodation in Iasi, at Hotel Traian****
- Walking tour of the oldest part of Iasi, capital of Moldavia from mid 16th century to the unification with Walachia and later capital of Romania, till 1862.
- Visit the mid 17th century Trei Ierarhi Church
- Drive to Suceava, capital of Moldavia from mid 14th to mid 16th century.
- Visit Suceava Fortress, built in late 14th century, enlarged by Stefan cel Mare, in 15th century, and one of the few that resisted a 3 month Turkish siege, in mid 15th century.
- Continue towards Gura Humorului.
- Accommodation in Gura Humorului, at Hotel Best Western***.
- Leave towards Voronet village, stop to visit the early 15th – mid 16th century Voronet Monastery, known as the “Sixtine Chapel of the East”. Drive to Vatra Moldovitei. Visit the early 16th century Moldovita Monastery. Drive over Ciumarna Pass to Sucevita visit the late 16th century monastery and continue to Campulung Moldovenesc.
- Accommodation in Campulung Moldovenesc at Hotel Eden***.
- Enjoy an authentic folkloric show, over a traditional dinner.
- Leave the area and drive over the Northern Carpathians to Maramures region.
- Drive on Viseu river valley and further on Iza river valley, passing through old Romanian villages, like Bogdan Voda, mentioned in 14th century.
- Stop in Ieud to visit one of the oldest wooden churches of Maramures, built in 17th century and probably the only one that survived the last Mongol raid from 1717. Continue towards Sighetu Marmatiei, also stopping in Barsanavillage. Visit the new Barsana Monastery and the 18th century old wooden church.
- Drive to Sapanta, to visit the world famous Merry Cemetery.
- Accomodation in Sighetu Marmatiei, at Hotel Marmatia***.
- Visit the ex prison, now a memorial museum, dedicated to the victims of the communist regime. Drive over the mountains, to Surdesti village, to visit the early 18th century church and continue towards Baia Mare. Stop to take a look to the old center and to visit the Mineralogy Museum. Continue south, to Cluj.
- Accommodation in Cluj, at Hotel Agape**** or similar.
- Cluj walking tour, including the remaining fortifications, the central square, the 14th century Catholic St. Michael’s Cathedral, the 14th century Matei Corvin House and the Museum’s Square.
- Drive to Turda, visit the Salt Mine and continue to Targu Mures.
- Walking tour of the central area followed by a visit to the unique Cultural Palace, built in early 20th century. Drive to Alba Iulia.
- Accommodation in Alba Iulia, at Hotel Medieval****.
- Walking tour of Alba Iulia Vauban style Citadel, the largest of its kind in south – eastern Europe, built by the Austrians, at the beginning of 18th century. Visit the History Museum, the 12 century Catholic Church and the early 20 century Orthodox Church, built for the coronation of Ferdinant and Maria as king and queen of the unified Romania.
- Continue towards Hunedoara. Visit Hunedoara Castle, built by Iancu de Hunedoara, in 15th century, considered to be the best examples of Gothic civil architecture in Transylvania.
- Drive to Sebes, stop for a short tour of the central area and later in Calnic, to visit the 13th century Peasan Fortress. End the day in Sibiu.
- Accommodation in Sibiu, at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor***
- Sibiu walking tour, including the 14th – 17th century old fortifications, the Large Square and the Small Square, the Liars Bridge and the Council Tower, the early 18th century Catholic church, the 13th – early 16th century Lutheran Church, the Staircase Passage and the History Museum, hosted by the 15th century old Town Hall. Time on your disposal or you have the option of visiting Brukental Art Museum.
- Leave towards Sighisoara , stopping in Medias for a stroll in the old center and later in Biertan , to visit the early 16th century fortified church, the most important church for the native Germans, the seat of the Lutheran Bishop for the entire Transylvania for almost 300 years.
- Accommodation in Sighisoara, at Hotel Casa Wagner*** or similar
- Walking tour of Sighisoara citadel, including the 14th – 16th century fortifications, the History Museum, arranged in the 14th century Clock Tower, Vlad Dracu’s house, the place where he was born, in 1431, the central square, the wooden covered staircase and the 14th century Lutheran Church on the Hill.
- Leave towards Brasov stopping in Viscri to visit the 12 century Fortified Church and later in Prejmer to visit the 15th century Fortified Church.
- Accommodation in Brasov, at Hotel Casa Brasoveana****
- Brasov sightseeing tour, including the 14th – 17th century old fortifications, the central square with the early 15th century town hall, now hosting the History Museum, the pedestrian shopping area and the 14th – 15th century Black Church, the largest Gothic church from this part of Europe. Drive to Bran, visit the 13th century Bran Castle, enlarged and modified during the centuries that followed, also known as Dracula’s Castle and later continue towards Sinaia.
- According to your flight schedule, visit Peles Castle, built by King Carol I, between 1875 and 1914, during this afternoon or leave it for the next morning.
- Enjoy a farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului Restaurant.
- Accommodation in Sinaia, at Hotel Anda**** or similar.
- Leave to Bucharest airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport with a climate control, fully insured vehicle
- luggage transfers while cycling
- 14 nights accommodation
- 14 continental breakfasts, 9 picnic lunches, 5 rich dinners
- a folkloric show with music and dances from Bucovina area
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent from Bucharest for about 10 euros / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees