A tough, fully guided tour, available from mid July to mid September, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 12 days of mountain biking in 10 mountain areas (Semenic, Valcan, Parang, Lotrului, Cindrel, Fagaras, Piatra Craiului, Postavaru, Baiului and Bucegi), situated in 2 historic regions (Walachia and Transylvania) of southern and center Romania.
Ride on single tracks, gravel and tarmac roads, with medium and steep slopes, between 50 and 90 km/day, ascending up to 1700m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 2505m, in Bucegi Massif, with vehicle support when possible.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, 3 of Transylvania’s fortified towns (Sibiu, Sighisoara and Brasov), Biertan fortified church, Peles Castle, Bran Castle and Rasnov Peasant Fortress.
Customizable features: starting / ending place, according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of cycling days, length of the rides, accommodation, meals included and also the cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center. Check in.
- Bucharest sightseeing tour, ended with a walk in the old part of the city.
- Welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- 5 hours drive to Baile Herculane. Check in.
- Cycle on Cerna river valley, from Baile Herculane (160m) to Cerna (Valea lui Iovan) Lake (680m). Return by car.
- Accommodation in Baile Herculane Spa, at Hotel Sara’s Sons, *** or similar, for 2 nights.
- Cycle up to 60km, 500m up, on tarmac
- 40 km drive to Prigor village.
- Cycle in Semenic Mountains, from Prigor (350m) up to Semenic Resort (1450m) and descend to Teregova village (350m) at the end of the day.
- 40 km drive back to Baile Herculane.
- Cycle up to 75 km, 1100 m up, 1100 m down, mostly on gravel roads
- 70 km drive to Baia de Arama.
- Cycle from Baia de Arama (400m) up, on Motru river valley, cross a ridge to get to Cerna valley and continue towards Jiu – Cerna Pass (1330m). Descend to Campu lui Neag village (1000m) in the afternoon.
- Accommodation in Campul lui Neag village, at Cheile Butii Hut, ***
- Cycle up to 70 km, 1200 m up, 500 m down, mostly on gravel roads
- 25 km drive to Vulcan town.
- Cycle in Valcan Mountains, from Vulcan (650m) up to Valcan Pass (1621m) and descend to Targu Jiu (210m). Check in. Visit Brancusi open air exhibit in the evening.
- Accommodation in Targu Jiu, at B&B Pensiunea Casa Danielescu, *** or similar
- Cycle up to 50 km, 1000 m up, 1400 m down, mostly on gravel roads
- 40 km drive to Novaci
- Cycle in Parang Mountains, on Transalpina mountain road, from Novaci (650m) up to Urdele pass (2145m) and descend to Obarsia Lotrului (1350m)
- Accommodation in Obarsia Lotrului, at B&B Pensiunea Bradul, **
- Cycle up to 50 km, 1500 m up, 800 m down, mostly on tarmac road
- Cycle from O. Lotrului (1350m), climb Tartarau pass (1678m), descend to Tartarau hut, continue on Frunoasa valley, climb Steflesti pass (1750m), go on Sadu valley and further, with the last climb to Paltinis resort (1450m). Descend to Curmatura Stezii Hut (670m).
- 30 km drive to Sibiu, accommodation at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor, ***, for 2 nights.
- Cycle up to 70 km, 1000 m up, 1750 m down, mostly on gravel roads.
- Resting day, the program being optional.
- Sibiu walking tour of the old central area.
- 90 km drive to Sighisoara, visit the citadel, stopping on the way in Biertan to visit the early 16th century fortified church. Return to Sibiu.
- Optional ride to Cisnadie – Cisnadioara villages and back (25km, on tarmac)
- 40 km drive to Cartisoara.
- Cycle in Fagaras Mountains, on Transfagarasan mountain road, from Cartisoara (500m) up to Balea Lake (2034m). Descend to Vidraru reservoir and continue towards Curtea de Arges (450m).
- Accommodation in Curtea de Arges, at Hotel Posada, ***
- Cycle up to 90 km ride, 1450 m up, 1700 m down, mostly on tarmac roads
- 40 km drive to Slatina village.
- Cycle in Fagaras Mountains, from Slatina (550m) up, following Raul Doamnei and further Valea Rea creek, to reach the end of the forestry road, at an altitude of about 1400m. According to weather conditions it’s possible to continue on foot, to get to Moldoveanu Summit (2544m). Return to Slatina following the same road.
- 65 km drive to Dambovicioara village.
- Accommodation near Dambovicioara, at Pensiunea Caminul Alpin, ***
- Cycle up to 80 km, 850 m up, 850 m down, mostly on gravel roads
- Cycle in an area situated between Piatra Craiului and Bucegi mountains, from Dambovicioara village (850m) up, through Dambovicioarei Gorges and Brusturetului Gorges, reaching a maximum altitude of about 1550m, at Coja Peak. Descend to Pestera village and continue all the way to Bran (800m).
- Accommodation in Bran resort area, at Complex Turistic Cheile Gradistei, ***
- Cycle up to 50 km, 700m up, 750m down, mostly on gravel roads
- Visit the famous 14th century Bran Castle.
- Short drive to Rasnov, visit the 13th century Rasnov Peasant Fortress.
- Cycle in Postavaru Massif, from Rasnov (750m) to Poiana Brasov and further up to Postavaru Hut (1590m). Descend back to Poiana Brasov, ending the day in Brasov (600m).
- Accommodation in Brasov city, at Pensiunea Curtea Brasoveana, *** or similar.
- Cycle up to 50 km, 850m up, 1000m down, mostly on tarmac roads
- Brasov walking tour of the old central area.
- 35 km drive to Azuga.
- Cycle in Baiului Mountains, from Azuga up by cable car and continue on bicycles, reaching an altitude of about 1800m. Descend to Busteni (850m) in the afternoon. Short drive to Sinaia.
- Accommodation in Sinaia resort, at Hotel Anda, *** or similar, for 2 nights.
- Cycle up to 20 km, 200 m up, 900 m down, mostly on a gravel road
- Cycle in Bucegi Massif, from Sinaia (800m) to Babele and the Sfinx rock formations (2200m) and continue all the way to Omu Summit (2505m) and hut. Return to Sinaia.
- Farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului restaurant.
- Cycle up to 50 km, 1700m up, 1700m down, mostly on gravel roads.
- Visit Peles Castle, former royal summer residence.
- 100 km drive to Henri Coanda Airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport by a fully insured vehicle during the tour and luggage transfers while cycling
- 14 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels and private pensions (B&B)
- 14 continental breakfasts, 10 picnic lunches, 5 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent for about 10 euros / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees