A tough, fully guided tour, available from mid July to mid September, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 12 days of hiking in 5 different mountain areas (Ciucas, Postavaru, Bucegi, Piatra Craiului and Fagaras), situated in 2 historic regions (Walachia and Transylvania) of southern and center Romania.
Walk on marked trails, with medium and steep slopes, with cables on the technical and exposed sections, between 2 and 10 hours/day, ascending / descending up to 1600m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 2544m, on Moldoveanu Summit, in Fagaras Mountains.
Due to the fact that we’ll meet the driver with the vehicle every second day while hiking on the ridge of Fagaras Mountains, we’ll have to carry some extra stuff – clothing, food and a light sleeping bag (suggested, for your comfort).
We’ll visit Bucharest city, 3 of Transylvania’s fortified towns (Sibiu, Sighisoara and Brasov), Prejmer and Viscri fortified churches, Bran Castle and Peles Castle.
Customizable features: starting / ending place – according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of hiking days, length of the hikes – wherever possible, accommodation – excepting the night we spend on the mountain huts, meals included and the cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda airport. Meet your English speaking tour guide and drive to the center for a sightseeing tour.
- 120km drive to Cheia for checking in and a welcome dinner.
- Accommodation in Cheia resort, at Hotel Cheia**.
- Short drive to Muntele Rosu Hut.
- Hike in Ciucas Massif: start at M. Rosu Hut (1260m), go up to Ciucas Peak (1954m) and descend to Bratocea Pass (1263m).
- Short drive to Brasov city.
- Accommodation in Brasov, at Hotel Coroana Brasovului*** or similar, for 2 nights.
- Walk 5 – 6 hours, approx. 700m up, 700m down.
- Drive to Prejmer. Visit the 13th century fortified church. Return to Brasov
- Hike from Brasov (600m) up to Postavaru Summit (1799m) and descend to Timis valley in the afternoon.
- Short transfer to Sinaia resort.
- Accommodation in Sinaia, at Hotel Anda****.
- Walk 6 – 7 hours, approx. 1350m up, 1250m down.
- Visit Peles Castle. Short drive to Cota 1400 Hotel
- Hike in Bucegi Mountains, from 1400m to Cota 2000 and further, on the high plateau, to the Babele and the Sphinx sandstone formations and Babele mountain hut (2200m)
- Accommodation at Babele hut*.
- walk 5 – 6 hours, approx. 900m up, 100m down
- Continue to hike towards Omu Summit (2505m) and hut. Descend to Bran (750m)
- Accommodation in Bran area, at Cheile Gradistei Touristic Complex*** or similar.
- Walk 6 – 7 hours, approx. 300m up, 1600m down.
- Visit the famous 13th century Bran Castle. Drive to Zarnesti.
- Hike in Piatra Craiului Massif: from Zarnesti (720m) walk up to Curmatura Hut (1470m). Optional climb Piatra Mica Peak (1816m).
- Accommodation at Cumatura Mountain Hut*.
- Walk 3 – 4 hours, approx. 750m up.
- Hike from Curmatura to the northern part of Piatra Craiului ridge, up to La Om summit (2238 m). Descend, through Prapastiile Zarnestilor gorges, back to Zarnesti (720m).
- Accommodation in Zarnesti, at B&B Taverna Pietrei Craiului***.
- Walk 8 – 9 hours, approx. 1100m up, 1500m down.
- Drive to Sighisoara, stopping in Viscri village to visit the 12 century fortified church, UNESCO world heritage site. Check in followed by a walking tour of Sighisoara citadel.
- Accommodation in Sighisoara, at Hotel Casa Wagner*** or similar.
- Drive to Sambata de Sus. Optional visit the 18th century Brancoveanu Monastery.
- We’ll meet the driver again at Balea Lake, in 2 days time, so we’ll have to carry some extra stuff, like food for 2 lunches, a light sleeping bag and extra clothing.
- Start hiking in Fagaras Mountains, from Sambata (700m) to Valea Sambetei Hut (1401m).
- Accommodation at Valea Sambetei Hut*.
- Walk 2 – 3 hours, approx. 700m up.
- Hike to Fereastra Mare a Sambetei (2188m) and follow the ridge, up to Vistea Mare Peak (2527m). 1 hour walk to Moldoveanu Summit (2544m) and back. Continue towards Podragu saddle, ending the day with a final descent to Podragu Hut (2135m).
- Accommodation at Podragu Hut*.
- Walk 8 – 10 hours, approx. 1600m up, 900m down.
- Climb back on the ridge, climb Mircea Peak (2461m), walk under Arpasu Mic and Capra peaks, reach Capra Lake and descend, from Capra saddle (2315m), to Balea Lake and hut (2034m).
- Accommodation at Balea Lake Hut***.
- Walk 6 – 7 hours, approx. 750m up, 900m down.
- We’ll meet the driver again at Poiana Neamtului, in 2 days time, so we’ll have to carry some extra stuff once again, like food for 2 lunches and extra clothing.
- Climb to Doamnei saddle, go under Paltinu and Laita peaks and climb Laitel Peak (2390m) on the way to Caltun Lake and refuge (2135m). Climb Negoiu Peak (2535m), the second highest in Fagaras. Descend to Negoiu Hut (1546m).
- Accommodation at Negoiu Hut*.
- Walk 6 – 7 hours, approx. 950m up, 1450m down.
- The last hiking day in Fagaras Mountains: from Negoiu Hut go to Barcaciu Hut and descend to Poiana Neamtului Hut (706m). Drive to Sibiu, ex European Capital of Culture, in 2007.
- Accommodation in Sibiu, at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor***.
- walk 4 – 5 hours, approx. 250m up, 1000m down.
- Sibiu walking tour of the old part of the town.
- 270km drive to Bucharest, check in. Farewell dinner at Caru cu Bere brewery and restaurant, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation in Bucharest, at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- Bucharest sightseeing tour, continuing with a stroll in the old part of the city
- Drive to the airport for your returning flight
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport and luggage transfers while hiking
- 14 nights accommodation in 3 and 4 star hotels and mountain huts
- 14 continental breakfasts, 10 picnic lunches, 5 rich dinners
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees