A moderate – tough, fully guided tour, available from mid May to late October, starting / ending in Bucharest, on Saturday, with 12 days of cycling on the back roads of 4 historic regions (Transylvania, Maramures, Bukovina and Moldavia) of center, northern and north – eastern Romania.
Ride over the Transylvanian hills and through Gutai Rodna, Obcinile Bucovinei and Hasmas mountain areas, on tarmac and gravel roads, between 25 and 110 km/day, ascending up to 1200m/day, reaching a maximum altitude of 1460m, on Prislop Pass.
We’ll visit Bucharest city, Alba Iulia citadel, Transylvania’sfortified churches (Cisnadioara, Cristian, Biertan, Agnita, Bradeni, Saschiz, Harman and Viscri), Calnic, Rasnov, Feldioara and Neamt fortresses, Bran Castle and Peles Castle, Transylvania’s fortified towns (Sibiu, Medias, Sighisoara, Brasov and Cluj-Napoca), Maramures old wooden churches (Surdesti, Budesti, Barsana, Poienile Izei and Ieud) and 3 of Bukovina’s pained monasteries (Moldovita, Sucevita and Voronet).
Customizable features: starting / ending place – according to your flight / train connections, length of the trip, number of cycling days, length of the rides, accommodation level, meals included and cultural highlights. And wherever else you might think of, if possible to be done!
For details please contact us!
- Arrive in Bucharest, at Henri Coanda Airport. Meet your professional English speaking tour guide and drive to the center, for checking in.
- Bucharest sight seeing tour, including the Revolution Square, the Royal Palace, the Romanian Athenaeum, the Parliament Palace, built during Ceausescu regime, considered to be the second largest building in the world. Continue with a walk in the old part of the city.
- Welcome dinner at Caru cu Bere restaurant and brewery, opened in 1879.
- Accommodation at Hotel Opera*** or similar.
- 270 km drive to Sibiu, ex European Capital of Culture, in 2007. Check in.
- Sibiu walking tour, including the defensive walls and the guilds towers, the Large Square, the Catholic Church, the Council Tower, the Small Square, the Liars Bridge, the Lutheran Church, a landmark of the city, the old town hall and the exquisite Bruckenthal Palace, opened as an art museum in 1817.
- Cycle from Sibiu to Cisnadioara and Cisnadie villages, stopping to visit at least one of their fortified churches. Return to Sibiu in the evening.
- Accommodation at Hotel Imparatul Romanilor***.
- Cycle up to 25 km, 200 m up, 200 m down
- Short drive to Cristian village. Visit the 15th century fortified church.
- Cycle towards Poiana Sibiului, passing through old Romanian shepherd and farmers villages, like Sibiel, with its glass icon museum, that worth a visit. Continue all the way to Sebes, descending to Sebes river valley or riding to Calnic village, to visit its 13th century fortress.
- Short drive to Alba Iulia, check in and later walk through the early 18th century Vauban style fortress, one of the best preserved in the country.
- Accommodation in Alba Iulia, at Hotel Transilvania*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 75 km, 700m up, 850m down.
- Drive to Medias. Stop for a short walking tour, including the 15th century Lutheran Church. Continue towards Saros pe Tarnave village.
- Cycle to Biertan. Visit the 16th century fortified church and continue towards Agnita and Bradeni, stopping to visit their fortified churches. End the ride in Sighisoara.
- Accommodation in Sighisoara citadel, at Hotel Casa Wagner*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 90 km, 400 m up, 400 m down
- Sighisoara walking tour of the citadel, including the fortifications with the guilds towers, the Clock Tower, hosting the local history museum, Vlad Dracula’ House, the Covered Staircase and the Lutheran Church on the Hill.
- 30 km drive to Bunesti, stopping in Saschiz to visit the 15th century church.
- Cycle to Viscri. Stop to visit the 12 century fortified church and continue towards Carta. Stop for the remains of the 12 century Cistercian Monastery. End the day at Albota Touristic Complex.
- Accommodation at Albota Hotel***.
- Cycle up to 80 km, 400 m up, 350 m down.
- Cycle to Sambata de Sus, up to Poiana Marului Pass and descend to Bran. Check in.
- Visit the famous 13th century Bran Castle, built by the Teutonic knights, enlarged and modified during the next centuries by the inhabitants of Brasov, later donated to Queen Maria.
- Accommodation in Bran area, at Cheile Gradistei Touristic Complex*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 100 km, 600m up, 550m down.
- A more demanding ride, about 50km long, 1000m up, following Transfagarasan Mountain Road, up to Balea Lake(2030m), is available, according to weather, and your will.
- 35 km drive to Brasov for a walking tour of the old part, including the central square with its early 15th century town hall, the Black Church, consider to be the largest Gothic church in this part of Europe, the old defensive walls, towers and bastions. Continue to Harman village. Visit the 13th century fortified church.
- Cycle from Harman to Feldioara, visit the 13th century fortress, and further to Varghis and Ocland, ending the ride in Odorheiu Secuiesc.
- Accommodation in Odorheiu Secuiesc, at Hotel Europa*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 90 km, 400m up, 300m down.
- Drive to Turda, stopping in Targu Mures in order to visit the Palace of Culture.
- Cycle on Aries and further to Iara river valleys, continuing all the way to Cluj-Napoca. Check in. Evening walking tour through the old part of the city.
- Accommodation in Cluj-Napoca, at Hotel Agape**** or similar.
- Cycle up to 65 km, 300m up, 300m down.
- Drive to Baia Mare, an old gold mining town. Visit the Mineralogy Museum.
- Cycle to Surdesti, visit the 18th century wooden church. Continue, over Neteda Pass, to Ocna Sugatag, ending the day in Sighetu Marmatiei. Check in.
- Optional drive to the unique Sapinta Marry Cemetery, visit.
- Accommodation in Sighetu Marmatiei, at Hotel Marmatia***.
- Cycle up to 80 km, 900m up, 825m down.
- Cycle on Iza river valley, stopping in Barsana, Poienile Izei and Ieud villages to visit their old wooden churches. End the ride in Viseu de Sus.
- Accommodation in Viseu se Sus, at Hotel La Cassa*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 70 km, 675m up, 350m down.
- Cycle to Borsa resort, climb Prislop Pass (1416m), descend to the picturesque Bistrita river valley and follow it all the way to Iacobeni. Transfer to Campulung Moldovenesc.
- Accommodation in Campulung Moldovenesc, at Hotel Eden***.
- Cycle up to 100km, 1000m up, 550m down.
- Cycle to Vatra Moldovitei village, going over Pascanu Pass (1040m). Visit the early 16th century Moldovita Monastery. Continue, over Ciumirna Pass (1100m), to Sucevita village. Visit the late 16th century Sucevita Monastery. End the ride in Voronet village, with a visit to the late 15th century Voronet Monastery.
- Accommodation in Gura Humorului, at Hotel Best Western*** or similar.
- Cycle up to 100 km, 1200m up, 1400m down.
- Drive to Piatra Neamt, stopping in Targu Neamt to visit the 14th century Neamt Fortress. Continue towards Bicaz.
- Cycle on Bicaz river valley, through the impressive Bicaz Gorges, up to Lacu Rosu, formed due to a land slide, in mid 19th century. Continue, riding over Pangarati Pass (1256m), to Gheorgheni, ending the day in Miercurea Ciuc.
- Accommodation in Miercurea Ciuc, at Hotel Fenyo***.
- Cycle up to 110 km, 1050m up, 800m down.
- Cycle to Targu Secuiesc, further to Covasna resort, ending the ride in Sfantu Gheorghe town. Drive to Sinaia resort. Check in.
- Visit Peles Castle, former royal summer residence, built between 1875 and 1914 for king Carol I or, according to your flight schedule, leave it for the next morning.
- Farewell dinner at Taverna Sarbului restaurant.
- Accommodation in Sinaia, at Hotel Anda**** or similar.
- Cycle up to 100 km, 300 m up, 400m down.
- Drive to Henri Coanda Airport for your returning flight.
Feel like racing against others? Or challenging yourself in an outdoor competition?
Check the events listed on SportsPlanner website and start or end your trip to Romania with one of the races!
- transport with a climate control, fully insured vehicle
- luggage transfers while cycling
- 14 nights accommodation
- 14 continental breakfasts, 9 picnic lunches, 5 rich dinners
- a folkloric show with music and dances from Bucovina area
- entrance fees
- guide’s and driver’s expenses
- flights to and from Romania
- bicycles, which can be rent from Bucharest for about 10 euros / day
- alcoholic drinks
- photo and video fees