14 days throughout Romania 2018
15 days throughout Romania, April – May 2018,
Specially designed for Carol and James Morgan
Day 1: – Arrive in Bucharest. Transfer to Hilton. Time to rest. Evening walk followed by dinner (7 PM) at Caru cu Bere restaurant (opened in 1879).
Day 2: – Sightseeing tour of the city, entering the museums you want
– Drive to Curtea de Arges, visit the early 16th century Arges Monastery. Continue towards Horezu, visit the monastery in the afternoon or leave it for the next day.
– Accommodation and dinner in a nearby village (Maldaresti), at Conacul lui Maldar.
– Drive about 250km, more than 100 on a highway.
Day 3: – Visit the early 16th century Cula Greceanu, the oldest fortified residence in the area, if open, before leaving to visit the late 17th century Hurezi Monastery and, optional, the late 15th century Bistrita Monastery. Also have a look at the local pottery and visit one of the workshops. Optional visit the local Contemporary Art Museum (if open).
– Drive to Sibiu, following the Olt river valley.
– Accommodation in Sibiu, at Casa Veche, for 3 nights.
– Short walking tour of the central area
– Drive about 150km.
Day 4: – Head for Transfagarasan, driving to Balea waterfall, continuing by cable car up to Balea Lake, time for taking pictures and a coffee / lunch, return to Sibiu in the afternoon.
– Time to spend in the town, exploring or visiting any museum, including the open air village museum, the largest in the country, or to go to Sibiel for the Glass Icons Museum.
– Drive about 130 – 160km.
Day 5: – Leave towards Sarmizegetusa, the capital of the Dacian state before the early 2nd century AD Roman conquest. Visit the archeological site, if the weather allowed.
– Continue to Hunedoara, to visit the 15th century Corvinilor Castle.
– Return to Sibiu, stopping in Sibiel for a home cooked dinner and the Glass Icons Museum, if we won’t do it during the previous day. Or start the day with the glass icons museum, continuing with Sarmizegetusa and Corvinilor Castle.
– Drive about 300km, more than 200 on a highway.
Day 6: – Head towards Sighisoara, stopping in Medias for a short walk in the old center of the town, in Mosna and Biertan for their 15 – 16th century fortified churches.
– Walking tour of Sighisoara, UNESCO site, including the 14th century Church on the Hill, the 15th century Clock tower and the remaining fortifications.
– Accommodation in Sighisoara, at Hotel Binder Bubi.
– Drive about 180km.
Day 7: – Leave to Cluj, with an optional walk in Turda Gorge, for 1 – 1 ½ hour.
– Cluj walking tour of the central area, including the 15th century St. Michael Cathedral and, if opened, the Ethnographic Museum.
– Continue north, stopping in Rogoz, to visit its early 17th century wooden church and later in Surdesti, for its mid 18th century wooden church.
– Cross the mountains into the historic Maramures area, stopping in Breb for dinner and accommodation, 2 nights stay, in Maramu B&B.
– Drive about 330km.
Day 8: – Head to Sapanta, to visit the unique Marry Cemetery.
– Stop in Sighetu Marmatiei for its colorful market, the Political Prison and the open air village museum.
– According to your wish, continue to explore a couple more villages, to see a local wood carver and some of his work, a few water driven devices, still in use, also reaching Poienile Izei, with its 17th century wooden church and Budesti, having a 17th century wooden church, both UNESCO sites.
– Drive about 170km.
Day 9: – Continue to the east, stopping for a walk at the bottom of Rodna Mountains.
– Cross the mountains into Bucovina, ending the day in Vama village, with dinner and accommodation, for 2 nights, at Elvira B&B.
– Drive about 200km.
Day 10: – Leave for Moldovita, for a ride with the local steam train. Spend a little more time in the village, to see an interesting museum dedicated to a local craft, of decorating the Easter eggs.
– Return to Vatra Moldovitei, visit the early 16th century Moldovita Monastery
– Go further to Sucevita, visit the late 16th century monastery
– Visit the late 15th century Voronet Monastery, on the way back to Vama.
– Drive about 130km.
Day 11: – Head to Suceava, ex capital of Modavia, to see the remains of the 14th century fortress.
– Continue to Targu Neamt, stopping in a nearby village, Tarpesti, to visit Popa Museum, an interesting place, and further on, in Piatra Neamt, to visit the oldest wooden synagogue in the county, if open.
– Pass through Bicaz Gorge, ending the day in Lacu Rosu resort.
– Accommodation at Lacu Rosu Hotel.
– Drive about 210km.
Day 12: – Go south, towards Brasov, stopping on the way at St. Ana volcanic lake, to visit Miko Fortress, in Miercurea Ciuc and the Szekely Museum, in Sfantu Gheorghe.
– Accommodation in Brasov, at Drachenhaus, for 2 nights.
– Drive about 220km.
Day 13: – Walking tour of the old part of Brasov city, including the Black Church and the fortifications.
– Visit the 15th – 16th century fortified churches of Prejmer and Harman.
– Continue towards Rasnov, to visit its 14th century fortress. Bran Castle optional.
– Drive about 80km.
Day 14: – Head south, stopping in Sinaia, to visit Peles Castle, built at the end of the 19th century – beginning of the 20 century by Carol I.
– Drive to the upper part of Bucegi Mountains, if weather allowed. It’s usually a lot of snow at this time of the year. Another open subject. We can try to walk at a lower altitude…
– Continue to Urlati vineyard, for wine tasting.
– End the day in Bucharest. Accommodation at Hilton.
– Drive about 230km.
Day 15: – Transfer to the airport, from Hilton Bucharest, done by one of my friends or Black Cab, a reliable company I used in the past.
Price: 1950 euro per person, including:
– 13(14) nights’ accommodation in the hotels and B&B mentioned in the itinerary, breakfast included
– 8 dinners, with drinks
– 2 wine tasting, food included in the package
– steam train tickets ( Moldovita)
– cable car tickets, from Balea Waterfall to Balea Lake and back
– entrance fees, at the museums, churches, monasteries, so on mentioned
– transportation, parking, transfers from and to the airport
– guidance and assistance from the afternoon of 21st to the evening of 4th of May
– photo fees for one camera, in the places that ask for it
– bottle water, in the car
– the first and the last night, if you decide so, in Bucharest
– other services unless mentioned