Peles and Pelisor Castles

Peles Castle, alongside with Pelisor Castle and the entire complex is consider to be one of the most important tourist attraction in the country. Having a great architectural value, unique interiors and furniture, art collections and objects the complex reminds us about the richness and power of the Romanian royal family and an important period of the Romanians history.

The castles were built on a large meadow outside Sinaia, at the bottom of Bucegi massif, at the southern entrance in Prahova valley, part of Walachia in those days, before the 1919 unification. The place was chosen by Carol I for its beautiful location and the fact that’s only 120 km away from Bucharest.

The construction started in 1875, the king asking a Czech architect, Karel Liman, and a German one, Johannes Schultz, to built a residence close to his heart and soul, Carol being German born and raised. The castle was built in German Renaissance style, with Gothic elements. The interiors were decorated by the Germans J D Heymann and August Bembe and the Austrian Berhard Ludwig, under the direct supervision of Queen Elisabeth. The result is outstanding, with an amazing woodwork that create a warm atmosphere, each room from its 160 being arranged differently.

Ahead of its time, the castle was built to have electricity from its own water power plant, central heating, even a central vacuum cleaner and an elevator. The first part was finished in 1883 but the work continued until 1914.

Pelisor Castle was built between 1899 and1903 for Ferdinant, Carol’s nephew, and Marie, his wife. Carol offered them a smaller version of Peles, with the same architecture.

Marie involved in its interior design, the result of her work being magnificent, especially for Art Nouveau lovers.

The castles were nationalized in 1948, Peles being open as a museum in 1975 and Pelisor later, in 1990. Ceausescu family used the castle to impress their most important foreign visitors, and not for themselves. Now the property was given back to the right owners, the royal family, and its future as a museum is still uncertain.