Neamt Fortress

Neamt Fortress was built at the end of 14th century, during Petru Musat rule, the period of consolidation of the independent Moldavian state. It was first mentioned in a document from 1395, when the fortress successfully resisted the Hungarian army siege.

In its initial form, a central fort which closed a precinct with 4 towers at the corners, the fortress fulfilled well its duties till mid 15th century, when the fire arms became more powerful. The fortress reached its years of glory during Stefan cel Mare rule (1457-1504). Understanding the role of the fortifications in the growth of the defense capacity of the country, he enlarged all the fortresses and built new ones, the entire Moldavia being bordered by a strong defensive system.

The work made here involved the raising the old walls, the building of 4 bastions around the exterior yard and a bridge in the form of an arch, sustained by 14 stone pillars.

The fortress resisted the siege of Mohamed army, in 1476.

At the end of the 16th century it was burned by Al. Lapusneanu, and rebuilt a little later by Ieremia Movila. In 1600 the fortress opened its gates to Mihai Viteazul, the first who briefly united all Romanian provinces.

It was later transformed into a monastery by Vasile Lupu and, in 1675, it was partially destroyed by Dumitrascu Cantacuzino. In 1691, defended by a hand of men, it resisted the siege of the Polish army leaded by Ioan Sobietski.

In 1834 the Moldavian rulers decided to start the preservation work, the fortress being declared a historic monument in 1866. The restoration work began after 1950.


To be visited in the following tours: