Desesti Church

This village is situated at the bottom of Gutai Mountains, on Mara valley. The oldest document mentioning this settlement dates from 1360.

Desesti has a fine example of the traditional Maramures wooden church. It was built in 1770 in traditional style, from oak beams, with a very slender tower, and dedicated to "The Pious Paraschiva." The interior was painted by Radu from Ungureni and Gheorghe Zugravul, "The Painter" in 1780. The paintings were some of the finest ever done in Maramures, and were restored in the mid 1990's. The church also displays a collection of 14 wooden painted icons of great artistic value.

The church is a UNESCO world heritage site.