Bogdan-Voda Church

Bogdan-Voda village is situated in the historic Maramures region, on Iza valley. Its original name was Cuhea, and it used to serve as the seat of the Romanian rulers of the province in medieval times. From here Bogdan Voda, the local ruler, left in 1539, crossed the mountains into Moldavia, defeated Balc, vassal of the Hungarian king, and established the independent Moldavian Kingdom.

Archaeologists have discovered an ancient Christian cemetery and the traces of a feudal residence dating from the 14th century. The ruins of one of the first stone churches built in Maramures have also been found here.

The 18th century wooden church, standing in the center of the village, was built from pine beams after the old one was burned in 1717, during the last Mongol attack. It is a beautiful example of Maramures religious architecture, with its high tower with a steep roof, a wooden carved rope surrounding it and the frescoes of the interior. Dedicated to St. Nicolas, the church was painted inside in 1754. It also houses a sculpted Bishop's throne, and a wooden carved chandelier, one of the most beautiful in Romania.

It belongs to the Greco-Catholic community. Unfortunately the new church, built nearby, was the reason way the wooden church in not a UNESCO site.